This is a budget-friendly, diabetes-friendly, very quick and very easy salmon cake recipe. Salmon is an extremely healthy food—it’s high in Vitamin D & very rich in omega-3 fatty acids (which can improve lipid values, reduce arthritis pain, boost immunity and possibly reduce memory loss & depression). All this for less than $3 a can and under a dollar per serving! We keep cans of salmon in the pantry for those nights when we need a “throw together fast” meal. For quick, easy & healthy sides, add cooked spinach (microwave from frozen and drizzle with olive oil and the same Mrs. Dash blend here) & brown rice (instant, boil in bag).
2 Tbsp. (30mL) Mrs. Dash® Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend
1/2 cup (120mL) plain dry bread crumbs (Panko-unsalted variety is our favorite)
1can (15 ½ oz.) red salmon, drained (or 2 cups cooked, flaked salmon)
1 tsp. onion powder
¼ cup diced red pepper or 4 Tbsp. drained pimento from jar
½ cup plain/regular oatmeal
1 tsp. lemon juice
4 drops Tabasco sauce
1/4 cup Egg Beaters
2 T olive oil
- Mix together Mrs. Dash® Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend & dry bread crumbs/Panko in a small bowl. Set mixture aside.
- Combine all remaining ingredients (except the olive oil) in a medium sized bowl. Mash salmon bones (do not remove bones-they are a great source of Calcium!).
- Shape salmon mixture into four cakes.
- Sprinkle ¼ of the bread crumb mixture onto a plate. Coat one of the cakes on both sides with the mixture (can roll it on the sides to coat the edges as well). Repeat this process three more times.
- Add olive oil to a non-stick skillet or cast iron skillet and allow to heat. Add cakes to skillet and cook over medium heat, turning once, until lightly browned on each side.
Tip: Make a large batch of the bread crumb mixture and keep in the refrigerator. We also use this mixture for making chicken fingers- http://nutritionpair.com/diabetes/mrs-dash-chicken-fingers
Serving Size: 4 oz.
Total Fat: 15 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fats: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 60 mg
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Dietary Fiber: 2 g
Sugars: 1 g
Protein: 25 g