John and I recently became Certified Pump Trainers for the OmniPod insulin pump. The OmniPod is the Insulet Corporation’s Insulin Management System. It is the first and only wireless insulin pump. The OmniPod consists of a “pod” that attaches to the skin and delivers insulin via communication with a personal data manager (PDM).
Some of the things we really like about the pump are:
• There are no wires or tubes
• The PDM has a built-in blood glucose monitor (less items to carry with you)
• No needles are ever seen by the wearer as the pods have an automated cannula
• No need to detach for swimming, showering, etc
• The only supplies needed are the pods and the insulin. With other insulin pumps
you must order tubing, insulin, needles and needle insertion systems.
The OmniPod is a relatively new insulin delivery device. It received FDA approval in 2005. Last year, the company won three awards for the device: a Gold Medical Device Excellence Award from Canon Communications LLC, a New England Innovation Award from the Smaller Business Association of New England, and a Gold Industrial Design Excellence Award from the Industrial Designers Society of America.
It is a really cool design and John and I are excited to start training new OmniPod clients! For more information on the OmniPod, go to http://www.myomnipod.com/.
It’s Your Health. It’s Your Life. Make That Change!